Sunday, April 10, 2011

Evanessence, "My Immortal"

Here's another song that I take kind of differently from the actual meaning. This mellow song, from Evanessence's 2003 debut Fallen, is about being haunted obsessively by the departed spirit of a loved one. However, the chorus of the song I chose to interpret another way.

"When you cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears/When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears/And I've held your hand for all of these years/But you still have all of me." Those words bring me back to thinking of my fractured relationship I now have with my daughter. I used to be her defender, the one that would hold her when she was upset, the one who would put her to bed every night with a kiss on her forehead. Now, two-to-three times a week, I give her a kiss, then tell her I love her and that she'll see me in a few days. It doesn't really have the same feel as it once did. I know she misses me though--she says that every time we part--and every time I leave her, I always tell her that I'll always be her Daddy, no matter what. That's one thing that'll never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment