Saturday, April 2, 2011

Led Zeppelin, "Fool in the Rain"

This song is definitely one of my most favorite, not just in terms of Led Zeppelin tracks, but overall. The reasons are many; I love the party-music interlude in the middle of the song (it sounds like Mardi Gras to me), the guitar solo that follows, and I love the story that it tells, because frankly, we've all been there.

Doubt is a terrible feeling. And that's what the guy in the song is facing while he's waiting for his lover to show up. He's really into her, but when she's late in arriving for their date, that's when the doubt starts. That doubt turns to despair. I mean, who among us has hasn't felt like they've been stood up at least once in their lives? Being stood up sucks. It often leads to a lot of contemplation, wondering if you've said something or done something wrong to complicate what you thought was a great relationship.

This particular story has a happy ending, at least. I wish it were spelt out in the song, but for whatever reason, he determines, like all men do at least once, that he's an idiot. "Ooh, now my body is starting to quiver/And the palms of my hands getting wet/I've got no reason to doubt you baby/It's all a terrible mess/And I'll run in the rain till I'm breathless/When I'm breathless I'll run till I drop/The thoughts of a fool's kind of careless/I'm just a fool waiting on the wrong block." She not there because he's not at the right place. D'oh!

(At least I hope it's a happy ending. For all I know, this guy's probably going to get read the riot act by his significant other once he finally shows up. How many women are going to enjoy standing around in the rain?)

You can get this great song from Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment