Thursday, April 14, 2011

Grateful Dead, "Touch of Grey"

This is a very fun song. I'll start off with a not-widely-known story about this song: "Touch of Grey," from the Dead's 1987 album In the Dark, is the first and only Grateful Dead song to chart on the Billboard Top 100. That's right--for all their success, the Grateful Dead are technically a one-hit wonder.

Moving on, there are two parts of this song that really mean a lot to me. The first is just a single line: "Every silver lining has a touch of grey." It's just a nice little saying. The second part of the song I like touches me a little bit more personally, being a survivor and current fighter of cancer. "I will get by/I will survive." Every time I hear this song, those seven words remind me that, despite all the bad stuff going on in my day-to-day life, I have the power to keep on keeping on. No matter what happens, I and I alone have the power to control what happens. If I stay positive, I can continue living my life and enjoy the people around me that are helping me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment